Thursday, July 5, 2012

Peaceful

[Guest post by Lauren]

Today, Meghan discovered that one of her preschoolers did not know the word for “cloud.” In the desert, clouds are rare—and yet, we have now had clouds two days in a row. I also wore my sweatshirt most of the day, remembering how just a few months ago, these “cool” temperatures were a sign of incoming summer and called for t-shirts, not midwinter weather calling for coats.

I now have minor paint splatters on my sweatshirt: permanent reminders of my projects here. The blue house is now mostly done, so Katie and I started (and nearly finished) the brown fence next door. Painting is peaceful. It has a simple rhythm and easy pace, with satisfying results. In the afternoon I have been getting my people fix: hanging out with the team and going to pastor’s for dance class with Pearl. I’m coming to love the kids and teens who come to her classes. They do not have the resources or opportunities that I did dancing in the states, but they put so much heart and passion into their dancing.

Last night, Pearl and another girl, Connie, taught Jess, me, and a couple other American girls their step dance. It involves a lot of stamping and clapping and singing. It took some practice, but with repetition and patience, we’ve managed to figure it out enough to join in the group for Friday’s performance.

Friday’s performance seems to be growing. In addition to Pearl’s dance teams, the kids’ skits, and our dance with Pearl, our team has agreed to put on two skits, fondly nicknamed “The Motorcycle Gang” and “The Movie Theater.” Both star Parker and Mike in the lead comedic roles; both will hopefully earn at least as many, if not more, giggles than our Broadway-worthy Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego skit from last Monday’s school assembly.

God continues to be good to us. During our debrief team time we’ve been blessed to have solid worship time and good discussion. As we pray for each other and encourage one another, we grow closer together and (hopefully) closer to God. Thanks again for your continued prayers!

3 comments:

  1. I noticed a picture with the caption "Meghan and her newest attachment". I was wondering if that means she gets to bring her "attachment" home with her?!?!

    It's hard to imagine not seeing clouds very often. It reminds me to be grateful for the variety in our weather. I do love all 4 seasons. I love cloudy, rainy days as much as blue sky, sunny days. I even like snow. Come to think of it, I just enjoy variety. I'm envious that soon you will all get to experience some of the various creatures (I've only seen in pictures) in God's amazing creation. As an artist delights in his new piece of work, I imagine God enjoyed creating so many varieties of plants, animals (even bugs,) and people. In fact according to Psalm 149:4 his feelings are ones of delight: "the LORD takes delight in his people". So rejoice tonight before you go to bed, thinking of how wonderful it is that the creator of the universe "delights" in you! Love on those children knowing He "delights" in them as well. Rejoice & on Friday night's open stage "Let them praise his name with dancing" (Psalm 149:3) as well as skits!

    Enjoy the rest of your time there. Be joyful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are friends of Meghans and have been praying for you all! It sounds like you are blessing many by being the hands and feet as well as voice of Jesus. We enjoy your blog and continue to pray for health, safety and strength as you finish up your work. Miss you Meghan and I know Eric does too!!! We will see you soon and continue to be Jesus around the world my friend! ~hugs~
    Jim and Chris Rietveld

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the guest posts :)

    and I'm pretty sure your blog hates me... posts disappear and every time I try to prove I'm not a robot, it doesn't believe me. Just know I'm with you every step of the way.

    ReplyDelete